Wednesday, March 30, 2011

DIY Headboard



This was some what of a seat of my pants project. I basically decided to make it on a whim, and with no real plan besides a rough idea of what I wanted it to look like I set of to Menards for some building supplies!


I ended up with some very cheap skinny long trim pieces and one flat ply board piece. In hindsight, the ply board was not the best choice because it tends to warp, but nailing the straighter trim pieces on to the sides and top helped to straighten it up a bit, enough so that I could make it work. I cut my pieces after a taking a few measurments. (also in hindsight I've decided i should have gone bigger) slapped it together with some trim nails.

Then I did 2 coats of stain. I used Minwax Dark Maple. and about 3 coats of polyurethane. It took days to dry in between instead of hours like the cans indicate.


Next I simply set it over my existing (very small) headboard, resting on the bed frame. it seemed to fit snugly enough just like that so thats how I left it!


Then a bedding change and I was done! (except for my white dresser I still need to find)
Here is a run down of the room:

DIY headboard - $15 for wood/stain and poly and foam brushes already had

Shabby Chic Bed skirt from Target - $19 on Ebay

White down alt. comforter - $29 Target

Brown Throw blanket - $3 at Meijer outlet

Side Tables - $39 each on sale at BB&B

Lamps - Christmas gift

Starburst mirror - $10 Family Dollar find

Rosette Long Rectangle Pillow - DIY







No comments:

Post a Comment